[pct-l] crowds and solitude

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Wed Jan 2 18:50:53 CST 2008

On my hikes in San Diego County I am constantly amazed at how many
places I find I could camp with a couple of tents. However, I don't care
if I camp by water, preferring views and quiet. It is true everywhere,
camps near rare waterholes and near road crossings attract crowds.

Hiking the PCT north from Truckee during thru-season last July, I was
surprised to see only ONE hiker on the trail in four days, other than a
work party. I did see a number during a town stop, and when I ended my
hike I saw a dozen while waiting for my ride out, but I would have
actually enjoyed a little more company during the hike itself.

So, Class of 2008, don't worry there is no room for you, but if you want
a little solitude, leave some time earlier or later than the last
weekend in April, and, in any event, seek out more remote campsites. You
can eat dinner early, and then hike on to camp elsewhere. I've enjoyed
some wonderful evenings high on a ridge with no one around but God.

AsABat