[pct-l] Backpacking Quilts

Wayne Kraft wayneskraft at comcast.net
Tue Jan 1 20:07:58 CST 2008

Almost all quilts made for backpacking have a sewn-in flap at the bottom for
your feet.  Look at the Arc Alpinist at http://www.nunatakusa.com/.  The
insulation on the bottom of your sleeping bag is useless because it is
squished flat by your body.  A quilt eliminates this unnecessary insulation
and fabric. It is true that a quilt can be drafty if you sleep without a
shelter (although I've been able to stay toasty in mine in wind strong
enough to blow the quilt completely off just by tucking it in a bit) or in a
drafty tarp, you might want to consider a bivy bag over your quilt which is
a better windbreaker than a sleeping bag and adds a lot of flexibility to
your outfit.  For most three season conditions using an enclosed tent a bivy
shouldn't be necessary.  I use a hammock quite a bit and quilt is far better
than a sleeping bag in a hammock.

Wayne Kraft