[pct-l] Aqua Mira v chlorine

Daniel Bailey greenhiker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 10:38:03 CST 2008

Aqua Mira is ClO2 (Chlorine Dioxide), which is what is used to treat many
city reservoirs.  I'm not sure what "household chlorine" is, but you *can*
use Clorox bleach to treat your water.

>From http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/surv/bleach.htm:

*First let water stand until particles settle.

Pour the clear water into an uncontaminated container and add Regular Clorox
Bleach per the chart.*

Mix well. Wait 30 min. Water should have a slight bleach odor. If not,
repeat dose.

Wait 15 min. Sniff again. Keep an eyedropper taped to your emergency bottle
of Clorox Bleach, since purifying small amounts of water requires only a few
drops.**
*

**Ratio of Clorox Bleach to Water for Purification*

*2 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per quart of water*

*8 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per gallon of water*

*1/2 teaspoon Regular Clorox Bleach per five gallons of water*

*If water is cloudy, double the recommended dosages of Clorox Bleach.*

*(Only use Regular Clorox Bleach (not Fresh Scent or Lemon Fresh). To insure
that Clorox Bleach is at its full strength, replace your storage bottle
every three months.)
*

Be well,

Senator

Stone Dancer wrote:
Survey:  Could we have some pros and cons comparing the use of Aqua  Mira to
2drops/liter of household chlorine?

Any one have experience on effectiveness, cost, corrosive incidents,
anything like that??

This came to mind as my Aqua Mira vanished inside my pack and I was
scrounging ideas for how to proceed until VVR.  I dubbed my AM "the
Precious" right
after that.

Stone Dancer