[pct-l] poles, boots, and such

mark v allemande6 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 28 18:04:23 CST 2008

I've had experience  with REI, Komperdell, and Leki
poles.  I've managed to break them all, but my Lekis
have 9 lives, whereas the others had merely one.  I
obviously work my poles too hard and in climbing
situations they aren't meant for.  But instead of
bending/breaking, Lekis seem to just come undone, so
with a little futzing one can get them working again.
So that's one person's recommendation.

Maybe it's the stupid novice climber in me, but i'll
be out there in the Sierra (singular!!!) trying to
time my high passes EARLY in the morning.  If you have
crampons and some comfort level with them, the walking
is 100x easier.  So, lightweight boots with just
enough of a platform to hold regular 10 point crampons
would be very valuable to someone like me.  Right now
though, i have some Merrill Torques that are probably
too flimsy to keep the spikes stable, and some La
Sportiva that as comfy as they are, are weigh way too
much.  Way weigh.  Haven't decided yet what to
do...can't bring myself to buy another boot right now though.