[pct-l] herd stuff

David Stewart davidalexanderstewart at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 05:49:23 CST 2008

yo,

do the trail establishments along the first few hundred miles of the trail
know about the coming herd from the ADZ?

should we send motels/towns e-mails (how would you send a town a freakin'
e-mail, i know) and give them a heads up?

just wondering.

2 questions:

1) will the herd spread out?
2) what is the drop-out rate for the trail?

the AT has a fairly high drop out rate, but this is due to a) huge numbers
and b) city folk who have never seen a tree showing up at Springer Mt. with
2000 dollars worth of gear, only to leave in 3 days and give it all away (i
have heard great stories from people who have started there with a herd,
only to be handed incredible jackets, tents, backpacks, etc...at road
crossings from people declaring "*%&$§!! this trail!!!" and walking into the
next town and going home)

and just to put it out there: i am going to the ADZ because I cannot make it
to the trailfest; have not hiked in a while and a little chatter will get my
head back into it; i have never hiked out west and am hoping to soak up some
info from veteran PCTers; it just fits oh-so-nicely into my current time
frame; as the herd spreads, i will take comfort in knowing some
people ahead/with/behind me whom i know.

it would be very cool to take a few zeros in oregon and to get back on the
trail see someone that i have not seen since the ADZ. i like when things
like that happen.

my 2 cents. thanks for reading this far.

respectfully, lovingly, huggingly, happily,
-moondog