[pct-l] 2008 PCT thru hike Blisters

Phil Baily pbaily at webuniverse.net
Tue Feb 26 23:43:08 CST 2008

Some suggestions:
         --- Use two socks; a liner and a hiking sock. Buy your
shoes/boots with these socks on when you try them on in the store.
         --- Stop and tightly tie your shoes before starting any downhill.
         --- Whenever you feel a wrinkle, stop immediately and
straighten it out; don't push through the annoyance.
         --- Carry moleskin; use it on "hot spots" or reddening skin.
         --- Carry lambswool; use a small piece between your toes
when there is any irritation.
         --- Run and walk a lot beforehand to toughen your feet,
preferably in the same shoes.
I have found each of these useful in the past. When your feet
toughen, you can get by with none of the above. However, you do want
to avoid pain as they toughen.
Enjoy hiking,
Pieces