[pct-l] A potential member of the ADZ heard

joel01 at ekit.com joel01 at ekit.com
Wed Feb 27 00:54:11 CST 2008

Jordan,

I was one of four people starting the trail on May 18 last year (was
avoiding the Kick-off crowds). Looking at the hiker book at the
Mexican border showed similar to progressively greater numbers
starting in the weeks before. So, I wouldn't anticipate you starting
completely solo, but you never know...

In addition, reading journal reports of 20+ people camped at a
desert spring in the days following the Kick-off made me glad I
waited. Journals in the weeks before and after the Kick-off didn't
seem to reflect those kind of numbers.

I met truly wonderful people on the PCT but having to start off with
that many from the get go would have probably made me want to pick
some other trail to walk. But that's just me.

Joel (aka Vlad the Impaler)

Quoting Jordan2ynp at aol.com:

>--part1_cfa.2b0699a7.34f65e3f_boundary
>
>Dear L-Rod:
>
>In your message was that 55, 60, and 65 people
>arriving in a days span? Now I
>may be a total extrovert who relishes in the
>companionship of others, but
>that number is insane. If that is the case I might
>have to go to the kickoff and
>come back to LA for two weeks before I head out,
>which I hope I don't have to
>do, because I hope to start the trail with at least
>a minimum of 3 other
>people.
>
>However, if that is the size of a Daly "heard" you
>have just got one hiker to
>change their departure date.
>
>Good Times
>

>**************
>Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL
>Living.
>
>(http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-
campos-duffy/
>2050827?NCID=alcmp00300000002598)
>
>--part1_cfa.2b0699a7.34f65e3f_boundary
>
><HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><HTML><FONT
>SIZE=2 PTSIZE=10 FAMILY>="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Dear
>L-Rod:<BR>
><BR>
>In your message was that 55, 60, and 65 people
>arriving in a days span? Now >I may be a total extrovert who
relishes in the
>companionship of others, but >that number is insane. If that is the
case I might
>have to go to the kickoff> and come back to LA for two weeks before
I head
>out, which I hope I don't h>ave to do, because I hope to start the
trail with at
>least a minimum of 3 ot>her people.<BR>
><BR>
>However, if that is the size of a Daly "heard" you
>have just got one hiker t>o change their departure date.<BR>
><BR>
>Good Times<BR>
></FONT><BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Ideas to please
>picky eaters. Watch vid>eo on AOL Living.<BR>
>(http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-p>icky-eater/rachel-
campos-duffy/2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)</HTML>

>--part1_cfa.2b0699a7.34f65e3f_boundary--

It was then I knew I'd had enough,
Burned my credit card for fuel
Headed out to where the pavement turns to sand - Neil Young