[pct-l] 2008 PCT thru hike Blisters

Bill Batchelor billbatch at cox.net
Mon Feb 25 17:54:14 CST 2008

I echo what WSM says.   Really, larger shoes help.  After much trial and
error, to this day I wear my hiking shoes one size over normal even for just
"regular" hikes.   And I keep the laces loose.

 A couple more thoughts.

 I would add as well to keep socks dry.  A good habit is to keep an extra
pair of whatever you use hanging on the outside of your pack.  At each major
rest (every couple hours), take off the shoes and socks, let the feet air
out, and then rotate the ones off the pack to feet.   Moisture will
accelerate blisters.   If you find your feet cracking, you may be too dry -
adjust accordingly (less rotation for example).

Many hikers have problems between the toes.  Many hiking stores are now
selling hiking "toe socks".  I and others have found them very useful.

Keep a good size role of medical tape (inch wide stuff) in your bag.  Use it
early on any hot spots.  I had times where I had each toe wrapped
individually.  It looked like I was going into the boxing ring expecting
"feet - a - flyin".

Hope that information is useful.

Best Regards,
Flyin Feet Pink Gumby