[pct-l] Western Mountaineering

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Tue Feb 19 18:46:44 CST 2008

To really get an accurate weight on a calibrated scale go to a postoffice
or a market where stuff is sold by weight. Generally those scales are
calibrated and more importantly regularly checked. The scales placed around
produce areas and such are not checked and are usually labled "estimation
only".

Another way of checking the accuracy of your scale is weighing stuff on it
that has been weighed in a store such as produce or bulk food items.

That said, I'm surprised that WM doesn't do rechecks of weight when ever
they change a product, and also just do random checks both on their raw
materials and their finished products. This is just good quality control.

Colin Fletcher in his The Complete Walker series wrote of taking his own
scale when he went to shop for gear.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>