[pct-l] Tarp tent vs. traditional tent

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Tue Feb 19 09:15:59 CST 2008

Good morning, Austin,

Here is one of the many ways to pitch a tarp:  http://royrobinson.homestead.com/PonchoPlans.html

I generally pitch mine like a pup tent using hiking poles.  The head end pole is left at hiking length and tied to the center of an end of the tarp, while the other pole is shortened to minimum length to support the foot end of the tarp.  I like to pitch the foot end tarp corners against the ground, while the head end corners are above the ground 8"-10" for greater head-height, better ventilation, and improved visibility.  If the wind seems a problem, I use the poles at equal length and pitch the corners and edges against the ground.  If the situation is right I guy one, or both, ends to a tree rather than use poles.

Steel-Eye