[pct-l] Tarp tent vs. traditional tent

Austin Williams longwalk2653 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 17:51:35 CST 2008

I use a homemade Tyvek tarp.  Stronger than sil-nylon, less weight than
nylon, and cheaper than both combined.  I added on plastic eye-holes to run
ropes/pegs through.  I love it.  I also use a 3ft wide piece of tyvek for a
ground cloth.  But for the life of me I can't figure out how to set them up
with my trekking poles.  I've tried every which way imaginable.  I don't
know how anyone does it.  I have to use a tree (preferably two) and do it
the "old fashioned way" (lean-to style).

Anyone out there with an engineering degree that can explain how to use
trekking poles to set up tarp? lol.

As far as the bugs... I use mosquito netting over just my face.  I guess
they just don't bother me that much.  I just try be "Zen' about them.

Worth the weight difference?  I think so.  I only weigh 133 lbs, so damn
near any weight is a significant fraction of my body weight.  :)
Admittedly, there are times when a four-walled tent sounds mighty
comfortable.  But those times *never* occur during my 14 hour hiking days
(at least not for me).  They usually occur on the rare nights when the wind
is blowing the rain under my tarp horizontally because I pitched it in a bad
area facing the wrong direction... haha.

Just remember that when on a hiking trip, you'll be carrying it about three
times more often then sleeping in/under it.  So, I always take my tarp on
hiking trips, and my tent on camping trips.

My 2 cents.

-Austin