[pct-l] PCTA Trail Fest: Women on the Trail Panel

Susan Alcorn backpack45 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 15 13:29:55 CST 2008

The upcoming PCTA Trail Fest, which is being held in Sacramento, CA on March 28-30 will provide an outstanding program for attendees.  I feel privileged to have gathered together four amazing women backpackers for the "Women on the Trail" panel.  Our panel discussion is scheduled for Saturday, March 29 from 10:45 AM -12:00 PM. (info: www.pcta.org)
Happy trails,
Susan "backpack 45" Alcorn

WOMEN ON THE TRAIL PANEL - Come hear a panel of accomplished women, including thru-hikers, share their experiences, key learnings and their enjoyment of hiking from a uniquely female perspective.  Facilitated by Susan Alcorn, PCT section hiker and author of "We're in the Mountains Not over the Hill: Tales and Tips from Seasoned Women Backpackers."

Our panelists are:
AMY RACINA, author whose "Angels in the Wilderness," chronicles her terrifying true-life ordeal. While backpacking in Sequoia National Park (CA), Amy suffers a 60-foot fall onto granite. Both legs are shattered. She's off-trail and utterly alone in deep wilderness.

Amy has been seen on "The Montel Williams Show" and National Geographic's "Adventure
Magazine" and is being featured this year in the Discovery Channel Documentary “The Extreme Body.” Amy's story has also served as inspiration for a new song in the soon-to-be released latest album of
"In Flight Safety." www.inflightsafety.ca

Contact Amy Racina at aracina at sonic.net to schedule a new event or speaking engagement. www.AngelsInTheWilderness.com

"LADYBUG," from Cincinnati, OH, who hikes to honor her sister's memory. After her sister Cheryl died from breast cancer in 1998, her family created the Cheryl Rose Walden Foundation to raise money for breast cancer patients and their families. Ladybug funds her own hikes and donates 100% of donations to the foundation are given to Hospice.

Ladybug has completed the AT and attempted the PCT twice.  Both times PCT attempts were thwarted by serious falls, but trooper that she is, she plans to complete the PCT this year. She is writing a book (all proceeds to benefit Hospice) but reports that "progress has been delayed due to the direction on my PCT hike." www.walkingforwalden.com

MARCIA POWERS, "Gotta Walk," whose accomplishments have made the record books, also joins us. From Marcia and Ken's website www.GottaWalk.com, "Like many other retired Americans we like to travel in our beautiful country, but instead of traveling in a motor home we carry all our gear in backpacks. Since 1998 we have logged over 13,000 miles of hiking through 30 states. These miles include 4 major long trails - the Pacific Crest Trail, Continental Divide Trail, Appalachian Trail and American Discovery Trail. These four trails have been called  'The Grand Slam of Long Distance Hiking.'"

SANDY MANN, "Frodo," is among the featured backpackers in the current Pacific Crest Trail "Communicator" (Feb. 2008).  The article, entitled "Eight Days in the North Cascade" and written by Sandy's husband, Barney "Scout" Mann, chronicles what happened to several groups last fall on the last miles of the PCT. Bottom line: eighty-nine thru hikers, who had been on the trail for five months, had to abandon their quest within spitting distance of the Canadian border when early season storms hit.

Sandy and Barney, who were part of "Team Snowplow," managed to reach the last decent bailout point, Harts Pass, where their group unanimously decided to leave the trail. A trailside sign read, "Canadian Border 35 miles." Sandy and Barney are also members of PCT's network of "Trail Angels."