[pct-l] Power of attorney for spouse at home

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Fri Feb 15 13:20:13 CST 2008

A question for past thru-hikers that are (and were then) married: did any of
you set up a general power of attorney for your at-home spouse?

I looked online for a  form that I could use (seems expensive to go to a
lawyer for a boilerplate form), but what I ran into mostly seemed to be
aimed at "in case of disability" situations.    I guess disability is a
possibility <g>, but my concern here is about things that come up that
require my signature while I'm gone, to allow my wife to act in my behalf
without having to go through any gyrations to get a (who knows, possibly
notarized) signature for something.  Since taxes are due on April 15th
there's no issue there, but who knows what minor legal arcania can come up .
I don't anticipate anything in particular, but I've not been away from home
this many consecutive months before.

I realize that these are per-state forms, but just in general is this
something that folks have done?  If so, has it turned out to be a worthwhile
thing to have done for anyone?   If so, any pointers to a good form to use,
perhaps just the right legal terminology to search for to find one that's
not disability related .

TIA ---

            Brian Lewis