[pct-l] Just moved to Ashland Oregon. Hello.

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 02:15:20 CST 2008

I love it all, but Sky Lakes is my favorite.  I like the original PCT "Alternate" starting north of Lake of the Woods.  A lot of the "Alternate" or original routes are closer to water and more pleasant to travel.  Before Crater Lake looping down to Stuart Falls is really nice.

Just South of the border.

I'd suggest driving south just past Yreka and taking the Fort Jones exit southwest (I think it's HWY 3, but just follow the signs) to Fort Jones.  Drive through the town and there should still be a Ranger Station on your right.  The usual green building with a flag.
Stop in and ask them for info on the Marble Mountains.  They can give(sell) you a map and a fire permit too.

>From there it might be about a 30 minute drive in to a trailhead they call "Lover's Camp"
>From there you can hike anywhere in the Wilderness including three different routes to different spots on the PCT that are only 4-6 miles from your car.

Warner Springs Monty.

with the Sky Lake Wilderness area.

If you have any suggestions for a first time hike in
Southern Oregon somewhere in the early June time
frame, I'd love to hear about it.