[pct-l] More Online Maps

Halfmile halfmile at pctmap.net
Mon Feb 11 16:35:14 CST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 12:15 PM, Cohen, Daniel  NAVAIR/NATEC CODE 6.7
<daniel.cohen at navy.mil> wrote:

> 1.  What is your timeline for map production

I need to log the trail from Scissors Crossing to Hwy 74. I plan on
doing most of that this weekend, soI can finish up Sections A & B in
the next 10 to 14 days.

I also need to log the trail from Lake Huges Rd (mi. 486)  to Kelso
Valley Rd (mi 616).  I probably will have time to do that in late
March. After that is done I will have maps of the first 1159 miles of
the PCT.

This summer I only have about a month of hiking time and will resume
hiking and logging N from Hwy 80 (mi 1159) and probably finish another
500 miles mapping.

Map production will be in the order listed above.

> 2.  What order are you producing maps in
>
> 3.  Can a anyone assist you in anyway

The biggest issue (but also the most fun!) for me is trail logging
since I have to fit this around my work. If other hikers were
interested in helping log the trail that would speed up this project.

Also, I would be interested in hearing any comments and suggestions
about the maps I have created. Several on the list have given me some
very good feedback.

I originally thought of this as a gps-centric project. Even though I
think the maps are pretty good, I didn't expect many hikers would
spend the time to download and print a bunch of maps unless they also
used the matching gps waypoints. However, far more people are
downloading just maps and not that many are downloading waypoints so I
am not so sure now.

> 4.  Will these maps be compatible with the DeLorme PN-20 GPS

I have never used a PN-20, but Delorme's  software can import .gpx
files do you should be able to get waypoints into it that way. I think
the PN-20 has a limit of 1,000 waypoints however. I not sure what
approach is best with your GPS as I only have experience with Garmin
units.

> 5.  Do you have any copyright concerns in posting NG maps with their logo….
> (You may want to consider deleting the logo)

National Geographic and I have signed an "Extended User License
Agreement" allowing me to publish maps of the PCT created with NG
TOPO! on pctmap.net. Part of the agreement requires me to not remove
the NG copyright and logos. I am also required to provide a link to
the NG web site.

> 6.  What would the scale be if the maps were resized and printed on 11 x 17"
> paper

I am not sure. Adobe Acrobat has a scale to fit option when you print
that might work. I don't know what the print quality will look like
enlarged this much.