[pct-l] Adding Weight to Pack for Training

Joel Ramey joel.ramey at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 10:17:42 CST 2008

Out of curiosity, what do the fellow flatlanders do for training?

I know that getting out with a pack and hiking with in(and de)clines is the
best, but since I've moved back to central Oklahoma, no such inclines exist.

I figured that a regiment of weight lifting, focusing on shoulders, back,
abs, and legs (especially calves) would be good for strength. I've also
thought about bike riding for cardio (running always seems to be out due to
shin splints, although hiking has never really bothered them).

Lastly, I know this might sound lame, but has anyone ever just walked on a
treadmill with a full pack with the treadmill set on an incline? My
roommates have one, and I've been considering this as an alternative
training.

Any thoughts or ideas?