[pct-l] REI Gear Weights

cvano at tmail.com cvano at tmail.com
Sun Feb 10 09:30:53 CST 2008

> The fact they do not put the "REI Scale Weight" on ALL gear items is
> just an indicator of their sell, sell, sell philosophy.  It has been
> many years since they were a real "co-op" of members --- scales,
> testing reports of gear items, etc., etc.
>
> But I still shop there because I get good selection, been a member for
> 40 years, and get gift cards to REI, so hardly anything costs me.  Heh,
> heh, heh.  If you do your own extensive research, you can go into REI
> and make reasonable selections.  I certainly would not buy all my
> backpacking gear at REI.

I don't buy everyrhing there either, but its a great place to start.  I
can look at stuff, pick it up, try it on/out etc then find it on line
cheaper somewhere.  I got my brand new Gregory Baltoro (correct size)
for $125! ($270 at REI).  I didn't know my correct size before being
fitted there and in fack had been using the wrong size pack for years.
Went to the main Portland store yesterday and got the little woman
fitted for a Diva 60.  She takes a womans small with medium shouklder
straps.  We would have never know that had we just bought it somewhere
without consulting an REI sales assoc.  Now she's looking for it on
line.  Moontrail has a good deal on it....

The store where I usually go does have a scale in the backpack/sleeping
bag dept.  While it does weigh in ounces, the weighing platform will
comfortably hold an MSR stove in its box without a fuel can.  I
commented about this and the web site to the manager and got a nice form
letter in the mail...

There are things I don't like about them, but many that I do.  Think I
should go to work there for the discount.....

It's not the Mountains that we conquer,
but Ourselves.  Sir Edmund Hillary 1919-2008

Ol' Three Toes aka Chris
S/V Drifter ~~~_/)~~~
Anacortes, WA.