[pct-l] Shelter in Washington

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 10:16:46 CST 2008

Hey JJ

Both times i used a tarp.
The first time was a Poncho Tarp

The second time was my Poncho/tarp (2.5 oz) to Skykomish, then a Gossamer Gear Spin Twin (8 oz and Huge) to the Border. (Loved it!!")  The tarp sets all the way to the ground on three sides when i want that.
My last morning on the trail I woke up with about a pound of ice on the tarp.  Me and my morning coffee were very comfortable together.

Changes for this year?
Rain Pants.  I made a rain skirt out of trash bags for the last 30+ miles.

Also a full length very thin sleeping pad.  Slept on ice just north of Rainy Pass and Snow(I had extra gear under my feet all night) just south of the border.

I may start the big tarp sooner depending on weather.

Warner Springs Monty

There's still a couple months left to go tent.