[pct-l] Esbit fuel & alohol

Randy Forsland randy_forsland at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 2 12:08:26 CST 2008

Seeing as the USPS will allow the shipment of solid fuels such as matches by surface mail only, one would think that esbit tablets would be the same. i found this on gottawlk's website:
MarkingEach mailpiece must be clearly marked on the address side with "Surface Mail Only", "Consumer Commodity ORM-D", and the flashpoint of the flammable liquid (which is 13C/55F for denatured alcohol)

Surface Mail Only
Consumer Commodity ORM-D
Flashpoint 13C/55F
US Postal Service regulations regarding shipping Esbit tablets:

5.0 FLAMMABLE SOLIDS (HAZARD CLASS 4)
Definitions
5.1
Hazard class 4 consists of three divisions:
a. Division 4.1, Flammable Solids. Any solid material other than one classed as
an explosive that, under conditions normally incident to transportation, is
likely to cause fires through friction or retained heat from manufacturing or
processing, or that can be ignited readily and, when ignited, burns so
vigorously and persistently as to create a serious transportation hazard.
b. Division 4.2, Spontaneously Combustible. A liquid or solid pyrophoric material
that even in small amounts and without an external ignition source can ignite
within 5 minutes after coming in contact with air, or a self-heating material
that, when in contact with air and without an energy supply, is liable to
self-heat.
c. Division 4.3, Dangerous When Wet. A material that, by contact with water, is
likely to become spontaneously flammable or to give off flammable or toxic
gas at a rate greater than 1 liter per kilogram of the material per hour.
Mailability
5.2
Flammable solids are prohibited in international mail. Flammable solids are
prohibited in domestic mail via air transportation. A flammable solid that can qualify
as an ORM-D material is permitted in domestic mail via surface transportation if
the material is contained in a secure primary receptacle having a weight of 1
pound or less; the primary receptacle(s) is packed in a strong outer shipping
container with a total weight of 25 pounds or less per mailpiece; and each
mailpiece is plainly and durably marked on the address side with “Surface Only” or
“Surface Mail Only” and “ORM-D” immediately following or below the proper
shipping name.

What this means to us:
It is not clear to me that Esbit tablets fall under the Flammable Solids Class. This would be the worst case mailing requirement.
We can ship small amounts of solid fuel via ground mail (domestic  mail only).  The fuel must be contained in a secure primary receptacle which must be packed in a larger package for protection. The overall package must weigh 25 pounds or less. The package must have the following label on attached on the address side of the package:

From: billbatch at cox.netTo: farber51 at msn.com; pct-l at backcountry.netDate: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 09:55:19 -0800Subject: Re: [pct-l] Esbit fuel & alohol

Last year I mailed Esbit using the "don't ask don't tell" policy.   I had it in my bounce box.  After reading and re-reading post office guides... I could not determine if these little solid tabs would be considered a problem.  Liquid fuels are a definite "no".   Other items get more grey.  Asking an employee is useless.  They always error on the side of 'not getting in trouble' - like asking a ranger if there is water in the back country.   For example, ask the post office employee if you can ship highly flammable petroleum based sheets and they will say hell no.  Ask them if you can ship 100% polyester clothing and they will say yes.  It is the same thing.

Anyway, I just opted to mail them using what I thought was sound judgment.   I never had a problem.

PG

From: pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net [mailto:pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net] On Behalf Of JOHNNY J FARBERSent: Saturday, February 02, 2008 8:45 AMTo: pct-l at backcountry.netSubject: [pct-l] Esbit fuel & alohol

When we hiked on the PCT in 2001 (before 911 security changes)we mailed esbit fuel tabs in our mail drops but does anyone know if you can still do that? What Iv'e seen is it needs to be shipped ground which is UPS.  So can you UPS to a post office?  I bought an alcohol stove, but it seems to make the water taste funny.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Sharon & John FREE&EZgoing