[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 12, Issue 120, Msg 10

Staley-Picolorich jeangrey at cruzio.com
Mon Dec 29 23:07:57 CST 2008

Re:  Msg 10 Leaving cars at Hwy 74 Trailhead

Yes, I think it's safe enough to leave vehicals at the PCT/Hwy 74
trailhead/parking lot and I plan to do so for a couple of days in January,
hiking out from there.

But I think you will also be aware of the monument at the north end of the
parking lot/the trail progression north - the monument honors, if I'm not
mistaken, a young guy with a passion for the trail who outhiked the rest of
his family coming back from a backpacking trip     (this must have been in
the '80s), who got back to the parking lot well in advance of them, only to
find the family station wagon being stripped by ?  A confrontation
undoubtedly resulted and he was tragically beaten to death and
unceremoniously dumped in the scrub and his body not found for another day
or so.  I hiked out from there, it must have been, within a week or so
later, and was puzzled by all the yellow crime tape around.  When I saw the
reward flyer on the Circle K store door in Anza on the way home, it became
clear what had happened.  Every since then, I've felt a need to minimize my
time at trailheads, and to take a good look around when coming in from the
trail and reaching my car.

I don't mean to be scaring anyone from leaving cars at trailheads or from
connecting with a resupply drop near a road -  it's just that trails are
safe; trailheads, crossings with roads, and even towns, when you are own
your own and not around other hikers, merit alertness, like anyplace else in
the "non-trail world".

So, stay safe...but hike on.....

Cruz Control