[pct-l] Don't plan, just do

Ellen Shopes igellen at comcast.net
Sun Dec 28 17:39:53 CST 2008

The learn-as-you-go strategy works for some, and can be fatal for others.
I'm presuming that you have at least some backpacking experience before
starting your hike, and no major health problems.

Those of us who are delayed from doing our hike in the near future :-( get
some enjoyment from the planning process.  The other advantage to planning
and analyzing things is the spawn of a new idea...whether it's new
ultra-light ideas or something else that makes the trip easier or safer, we
all benefit from the ultra-planners.

Then again, it probably depends on the focus of one's hike.  Some are
goal-driven, and need the schedules, etc.  Others subscribe to the
philosophy of: "It's not the destination, it's the journey."  Both are valid
ways to experience the PCT.

Elderly Ellen