[pct-l] Planning...

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sat Dec 27 12:46:00 CST 2008

My experience in terms of planning - having done numerous section hikes
of a month or more - is that it gets easier over time.  Someone who has
never hiked for more than a week is likely going to be intimidated with
the thought of planning for a month, two months, or four or five months
of hiking.  I remember pouring over guide books, identifying camp spots,
big climbs, taking notes, making spreadsheets, etc.  I didn't feel ready
until I'd walked the hike in my head at least a dozen times (or so it
seemed).  I look back at my first couple hikes of a month or more and
groan.  I was pretty stubborn...

As Patti says, once you start hiking pretty much all detailed planning
goes out the window.  It seems that the food part needs to be together,
mailing it or re-supplying on the trail.  Everything else can slide.

In my eyes the most important part of planning is knowing yourself - how
you act in dicey situations.  A dicey situation is one in which you are
tired and/or cold or hot or hurt on one side, and there is a decision to
be made regarding what's happening outside of you.  If you're never
found yourself beginning to shiver uncontrollably, or spaced from 90
degree heat, or walking with a pain you've never had before, consider
yourself untested.  All this means is that you have reached the edge of
what you can plan for and now you have to make a good decision.

Sometimes a person makes a bad decision because of mood.  Why head off
alone, before anyone else the loose herd you've been walking with, to
climb Forester Pass?  95 times out of a 100 that is no biggie.  But is
it a good decision - to hike your first big pass alone?  Maybe if there
is no snow.  How about the first crossing of a spring-melt creek?
What's your decision?

On a JMT hike in 1971 I headed up from Tyndall Creek as a lightening
storm moved in.  Rather than hunkering down in the trees, my 19 year old
"gotta make miles" attitude had me walk out into the boulders, where of
course, lightening started hitting.  When one hit 40' from me I realized
I was in danger.  I have lots of little stories like this that involved
decisions that could have easily had me hit by lightening, or be swept
over the cascades at the foot of Evolution Basin, or slip and bounce
down a snowfield to rocks below, etc.

If you're a moody person you need to own up to it, and plan for it.  If
you're impetuous and rash, own up to it.

I think most people learn quickly, but there are always the stories of
those who put themselves into danger because of mood, stubbornness, or
rashness.  Probably other reasons too.

Just a thought as I look out the window on a gray day in early winter.

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD/Santa Rosa, CA