[pct-l] Pinnacle or the Helium.

Eric Lee (GAMES) elee at microsoft.com
Fri Dec 26 16:00:14 CST 2008

Sean wrote:

I am looking at both of these ad seriously considering them for my sleeping
bag. After doing much reading and talking with a few people on this forum. I
have decided that the bag I get is very important. I am just wondering if
there is anything comparable to these for a cheaper price.

It seems that in sleeping bags, you have the classic triangle: light, warm, cheap . . . pick any two attributes and forget about the third.

There are cheaper options than the Helium, but they will be heavier.  That's not the end of the world; it just means a little more work.  If you don't have the money, then, well, you don't have the money.  Lots of people thru-hike with cheaper bags.

In my experience, though, investing in a top-of-the-line sleeping bag is usually worth it if you do have the money.  A high-quality sleeping bag will last you for many years if you take care of it and it's a foundational part of your gear system.

Eric