[pct-l] electrolyte replacement

Ellen Shopes igellen at comcast.net
Fri Dec 26 10:23:57 CST 2008

I like this recipe.  Thanks for sharing it.

FWIW, here's my take on electrolyte replacements.  Many commercial
preparations aren't palatable without additional watering down.  I think the
real issue in desert hiking is:  "how's your appetitie?"  Many people lose
theirs when hiking in the heat.  If you find you still can eat, you can
probably get enough electrolytes from the food that you eat.  This is
particularly true if you favor salty foods (pretzels, salted nuts,
commercial freeze-dried meals, etc.).  On my desert hikes, I take along some
form of electrolyte replacement for use in emergencies.  I have rarely
needed to use it.  If you decide to use one, like any of your other
equipment, try it out ahead of time to make sure you like it's taste when
it's warm.

Ellen