[pct-l] water carrying capacity / frameless backpacks

Jonathan Blees Jblees at energy.state.ca.us
Wed Dec 24 10:06:30 CST 2008

Hello Lenny,

I've sectioned-hiked from Anza to near Mather Pass with a frameless Golite (I forget the name of the model) that weighs about one pound.  I've carried 40+ pounds in the desert, including eight liters of water in a couple of stretches (four two-liter soda bottles), with no problem.  (In retospect, I could have got by with six liters; if you hike faster than my 12-15 miles per day, you might need even less, but IMO it's always best to carry a little more than you think you'll need.)  Also, a medium-sized bear cannister fits perfectly (horizontally) in the bottom.  In sum, I reommend it without hesitation.

Wildheart
<<<

Message: 1