[pct-l] water carrying capacity / frameless backpacks

Ralph Alcorn rbalcorn at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 09:34:13 CST 2008

I've used the Golite Breeze for one 500 mile hut to hut type trip where I
was carrying about 15 lbs. I also used it for one 10 day JMT backpack. In my
opinion, it is marginal for carrying loads over 20 lbs. The plus is that you
can slip it off your back in an instant, but the minus is that your
shoulders can get quite sore from a heavy load. I've used several of the
Gossamer Gear packs in central California on the PCT, and was quite happy
with them. For Southern California, the water requirements pushed the max
pack weight up to about 40 lbs, and I couldn't get the GG pack to shift
enough weight to the waist. I changed to the ULA Circuit for the remainder
of the Southern Calif PCT, and found that its substantial waist belt handled
40 lbs better.

Re water requirements. I suggest that you carry enough of the 2+ liter
Platypus flexible containers to have an eight liter capacity. They weigh
very little and can be used as needed. You are going to get 3 to 5 miles per
liter when walking, depending on how hot it is. If you dry camp, that is
going to be another 1.5 liters for one person. If your planning doesn't
assume the availability of water caches, which it shouldn't, there are going
to be some days when I recommend starting with 8 liters. That should get you
from 24 to 40 miles, depending on the weather. Also, even in northern
California there are some long dry stretches.

One note about the Platys. After being rolled up and then used many times,
they eventually develop a leak at the top, so expect to toss one by the time
you hit Oregon.

--
Ralph Alcorn
http://www.backpack45.com/pct.html