[pct-l] How Much Money to Hike the Trail

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Dec 21 10:32:21 CST 2008

Patti writes: The $2.00  a mile includes hotels and buying food for resupply
along the way  right?
Switchback  the Trail Pirate replies: Yes, I  always use $2.00 a mile as an
estimate for all expenses for thru-hiking the PCT,  but you could hike it a
little cheaper.  Or a lot more.  Depends  on your luxury standards.  Also, you
have to figure in transportation to  the trail if you are coming by plane, etc.

My expenses are very high.  My  goal is to thru-hike the PCT as the most
supported hiker in history.  I  think I will raise my savings goals to $3.00 per
mile.  That would be  cool.  Let's see, that would be just under $8000.  I have
hiked some  parts of trail that I would not hike over again, so make it an
even  $7000.   Say, I don't have to save anything.  My sick leave that  I will
cash out when I retire will cover that easily.

I am set for the trail financially  ---this was too easy.  I have most of my
gear already.  Also, I am a  hardcore hiker trash saunter.  I plan to arrive
at all my trailtown stops  about noon and stay one and half days.  In other
words, I will corridor  hike the trail as a series of Section Hikes.

Hummm, I just thought of something  else.  Since I will be retired, my
retirement checks will make me richer  when I get back than when I left.  I am going
to actually make money by  hiking the trail.  I think I will knock off the
CDT and the AT too.   This way I will become a millionaire and Triple Crown
Hiker too.  No  problem, except for the wealth redistribution folks out there.
Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.