[pct-l] machine screw traction use

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Dec 21 09:40:38 CST 2008

On Dec 21, 2008, at 6:47 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> machine screw traction use

I was curious about the screws, too, but never attempted them. I had
wondered if SPD bicycle shoes could be harvested for the purpose.
Perhaps the metal plate could be reused somehow to keep the screws
from being felt under your feet, or maybe the design of the cleat
system could hold a clue to a design possibility for hiking shoes. I
could not see cutting such a large hole into any pair of shoes, and
bicycle shoes themselves are way too tight and stiff for hiking. But
I still wonder.