[pct-l] machine screw traction use

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 18:03:50 CST 2008

I'm intrigued by the idea of using machine screws instead of instep crampons
on my hiking shoes but I have a question about using these on a thru
hike.  If any thru hiker has used these maybe they could answer a few
questions.  Are they screwed in and out for each patch of ice or are they
just left in for days at a time during snow covered sections.  If they are
left in, do they cause any discomfort or issues with hiking on non-snow
sections?  If they aren't left in how much time is required putting them in
and out?  I'm assuming that if they are left in and you are not walking on
snow they wear pretty fast?  How long would they last?  Are the conditions
on the PCT during typical NOBO thru hiking season such that these could
sometimes be deemed an inappropriate substitute for crampons?  I'm trying to
decide if I may want to use these or instep crampons this coming year.  Of
course I won't really know the conditions I'll see until several months from
now, but I'm attempting to work through as much of my gear issues/choices as
early as possible.   Is this a decision that has to wait until April-June to
make?

Thanks, day-late