[pct-l] Base layers

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Dec 19 10:42:31 CST 2008

On Dec 19, 2008, at 8:19 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> Okay, here's a new thread.? I am looking for a new base layer.? I
> have some light weight long underwear, but?am thinking?that for the
> JMT I might want to move up to a mid-weight, especially for sleeping.?

What months are you going?

I found with good campsite selection (don't sleep near lakes, meadows
or other cold, low places) that I was toasty warm in my ultra-thin
silk underwear or just my clothes without long underwear. Only around
4am or so would I wake up and put on my down sweater to eek out a few
more hours of warm sleep. Only once was I ever truly so cold I slept
in multiple layers, and that was when I camped near Tyndall creek.