[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 12, Issue 72

Markbcarew at aol.com Markbcarew at aol.com
Tue Dec 16 13:52:44 CST 2008

In a message dated 12/16/2008 2:19:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
pct-l-request at backcountry.net writes:

A  "friend" of mine borrowed my $300 Western Mountaineering sleeping bag one
night without asking and slept too close to the fire. Upon returning it I
found three holes from embers burning through the outer skin. Not to mention,
he admitted to being intoxicated and urinating in my bag as well. So, I am
wondering if anyone has suggestions about the best way to go about repairing  the
holes, then washing the down bag. I?know this sounds funny, but it's
true.?Thanks everyone. - Shocker?

If the holes aren't too big simply pinch the fabric together with the rough
edges tucked in towards the insulation and use a whip stitch to sew the  hole
together.  There will be a small pucker but the repair is  functional.  Google
whip stitch if you need a diagram.  You can hand  wash the bag in the
bathtub.  I have always used woolite for down.   Wash as many times as necessary but
keep rinsing after the final wash until all  traces of soap are gone.  The bag
can be tumble dried in the dryer on low  heat.