[pct-l] Sleeping Bag Repair

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Tue Dec 16 13:40:46 CST 2008

Your bag, which I know is not inexpensive (happy owner of a WM bag) is completely repairable.  Don't throw it out or buy a new bag ($$$)!!!

The holes can be repaired by taking some 1.1 ripstop impregnated silnylon and making patches with it. If you need some contact me off post and I'll mail you some. Glue the patches on, carefully sealing around the holes with glue appropriate for use on silnylon.  If you've lost down, you can replace it.  WM reportedly uses molted down, so no live birds are plucked to get these feathers.  You'll pay up for molted down, but you'll sleep better and it's sure better than buying a new bag.  I understand the easiest method to get the feathers in the bag is first decide how much you want to to add to the bag, then add water to the down so that it is quite liquid.  Then suck it up in (or pour it into) a turkey baster or other large syringe, and then squirt the whole watery glop into a small opening in the article, which you then seal up. When the water runs out and the feathers are dry, you're good as new. This method is better than trying to get all those little pesky feathers from flying all over.  I believe it was Marion Davison (Llama Lady) who posted how to do this once-upon-a-time.

Down can be washed using Nikwax Down Wash, specially formulated for down.  I've used regular detergents too, with good results on all my down items.  Just be sure to not use much soap, and include extra rinse cycles (this is true for all smelly hiker gear!). I wash on warm/cold, gentle cycle.  Set for high spin on the drainage.  Dry your bag in the dryer on low temp, and for best results throw 3 or 4 tennis balls in with the bag. This beats the feathers back to their original fluff and optimizes the heat retaining properties of the bag (fluffed down is more effective than flat down). The cycle should be long and slow.

The single most important thing when washing down is to NOT use fabric softeners of any kind -- not in the wash or in the dryer.

The Laundress (aka L-Rod)