[pct-l] Sleeping Bag Ratings and REI

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Dec 14 09:28:38 CST 2008

Hannah writes: Sleeping bag temperature ratings are the lowest temperature
at which you will be comfortable assuming you are INSIDE a tent and ON  TOP OF
a crash pad.  Some companies list temperature ratings from EN  13537 test
which they uses in Europe.  They will list the comfort range,  lower limit, and
extreme limit for temperatures.  I know Marmot tests  their bags this way and
they have a pretty good explanation of it on their  web-site.
Switchback replies: Something that bugs me is that REI does not have  their
own testing of bags.  At least any that I know of or that they  advertise.  It
seems years ago they had a test dummy that they used to test  bags.  I have
been a member for a billion years (back when Jim Whitaker was  in charge) and
remember the test dummy and when they tested gear and reported to  members.

REI is supposed to be a co-op for its members, but years ago they went
commercial like any big time sporting goods store, but with a twist.  For  example,
if you go into an REI store and ask to use their scales to weigh gear,  they
look at you like you are nuts.  But privately the help will say they  wish REI
had scales to weigh gear.  They sell retail and then give you a  "dividend"
back.  Yea, right.  This is really a no interest bank  account that they return
to you.  Now you add your retail purchases and  your "free dividend"
purchases together and you have the discount price overall  that they could have done
in the first place without all the hassle and self  promoting praising.

Of course, I shop there all the time due to their return policy.   Heh, heh,
heh.  And  a new one opened on my side of town several  months ago.  Yea!