[pct-l] Sleeping Bags

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Dec 14 09:06:30 CST 2008

Tamsin wrote:ntry.net writes: I bought a GoLite quilt rated to 20 degrees and
 used it after
Wrightwood. It was less expensive than the Nunatak  because it isn't
individually made to order. I really like it.
Switchback replies: I have started to think about going away from 800  down
for my bag and jacket.  They work fine.  My problem is that I am  beginning to
think the harvesting of down might might be cruel.  As a  Trail Pirate, I am a
cruel guy.  No problem there -- I like being mean to  people.  But I like
other animals and plants too.  I was looking over  at _www.MountainLaurelDes
igns.com_ (http://www.MountainLaurelDesigns.com)  at  their new 2009 gear.

They have a ClimaShield XP synthetic insulation that they claim is  the best
available.  I have no idea if that is true.  I am going to  continue to look
at various options, but do not know if I will actually change  from what I am
using now.  My www._nunatakusa.com_ (http://nunatakusa.com)  Ghost sleeping bag
weighs in at  18 ounces.  It is a little small for me.  A 20 ounce bag would
have  been better.  Maybe even a 22 ounce bag. I use a combination of down
bag and down parka for sleeping.

If I sell my Ghost bag, I bet there will be lots of bidding.  A  Switchback
originally used gear.  I will probably put a reserve on it at  $5,000.  Then
there is my Nunatak super light down parka.  There  is another $5,000.

Remember, any of my used gear used by you, I get to claim your adventures  in
my outdoor resume too.