[pct-l] saying no to alcohol

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Thu Dec 11 20:32:32 CST 2008

On Dec 11, 2008, at 6:37 PM, greg jacobs wrote:

> with the high fire danger that is persistent throughout southern
> California
> i cant help but think that it is time for the PCT community to take
> a stand
> against the use of alcohol stoves, at least thru the dry sections of
> California, All PCT hikers should really think about alternatives
> that would
> reduce the chances of fires starting because of accidents with our
> alcohol
> stoves. comments? opinions?

I went 'no cook' when I hiked in 2007 from Agua Dulce to Kennedy
Meadows.  I
picked up my stove at KM for the Sierra.  I made this decision
because of
the high fire danger, experience with two fires started by thrus in
2004, and
a minor but completely scary episode with a couple blades of grass
catching
fire from my stove in 2004.  I know of at least one hiker in 2004 who
did
the entire trail stove-less (except maybe the sierra).

I relied heavily on tortillas with a variety of fillings to make up for
the lack of a stove.
   -- cheese & pepperoni
   -- peanut butter, dried fruit, M&M's
   -- Nutella and trail mix/gorp