[pct-l] What bag rating?

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 11 18:05:39 CST 2008

Bob,

I'm pretty sure you'll be good with a 20 degree or even a 25 degree
rating.  Remember you can always wear your warm jacket in the bag.

I carried a 15 degree rated Mtn Hardware down bag with 800 fill.  It was
plenty warm in the coldest weather I encountered and I started the trail
April 4 heading sobo from Walker Pass.  Most of the time, it was too
warm for my "sleep" clothes, Smartwool lightweight long-sleeve top and
bottom.  In fact, even on the coldest nights, I usually wound up
shedding the long underwear when my body got the bag warmed up as it was
too hot.  I usually cowboy camped, so there was also often a breeze.

Handlebar