[pct-l] Cost of Section Hike

batdorff batdorff at coosnet.com
Mon Dec 8 23:29:06 CST 2008

A week or so ago someone asked how much it cost to section hike the PCT.
Here is my cost.  Being from the southern coast of Oregon, access mileage to
the trail might be higher than the average Joe Plummer.

It took me 26 years to complete my hike of the PCT.  I began in 1981 when I
was 40.  I did the entire trail in 52 hikes which was basically 53.9 miles
per hike.  My goal was to hike approx 100 miles per year.  Total driving
miles:  68,793.  Several times I used two vehicles, parking one at the end,
and taking the 2nd around to the beginning.  Assuming a $0.30 per mile
operating cost, that's $20,637.90.  Food cost estimated at $2,452 at $4.00
per meal.  Motel cost:  $720.  Basic equipment cost: $1,000 (I'm cheap).
Total cost:  $24,809.90.

Cost per backpack mile: (2,804 miles) $8.85.  Hiked a total of 212 days.
Ave. miles per day:  13.2 miles.  Longest hike: 9 days, which doesn't
include days it took to get to the trail.  I hiked with 30 different people
over the 26 years.  Average pack weight:  45-50 #'s.   Hope this is of value
to someone.

Ultimate value of my hike:  priceless- out of this world.

Jim Batdorff

Coos Bay, OR