[pct-l] FAQ

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Sat Dec 6 10:06:23 CST 2008

Good morning,

I think we may be closer to a useful information resource than we may think.
Most topics of interest to PCT hikers have already been discussed -
sometimes in nauseating detail - but it is often difficult to find specific
gems within the archive structure because discussion under a particular
thread-name can wander off-topic quite a bit.

A useful start would be to work from the list of probable topics, and glean
through the archives to find existing discussions that address those topics.
Appropriate discussion text could then be referred to via link or it could
be copied -- with date and attribution -- to another FAQ location.  I
wouldn't call the person doing so an "editor", I would call him/her a
"compiler" because at that point no text would be changed.  The judgment
would be in what to include rather than how it is written.

How far back in the archives to look would depend upon the topic.  Some
information doesn't change much so the search could go back 4-5 years, while
other topics are more volatile and/or time sensitive so 6 months might be a
long time.  If any topic looks to be a bit thin of existing art the
"compiler" could post a question to the list asking what the opinions are
about that topic and include the resulting responses in the reference.

http://news.yahoo.com/comics/pearlsbeforeswine;_ylt=AhWS5yZdpgtOQQZ6C.wr26UDwLAF

Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

"In the last few years if you haven't discarded a major opinion or acquired
a new one, check your pulse.  You may be dead."
- Frank Gelett Burgess