[pct-l] Snow

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 4 20:36:50 CST 2008

>>As I recall, the last two PCT hiker deaths were veteran AT thru hikers. Both were
>>snow related.

While hiking the AT can be good for getting you used to backpacking (and can
certainly help with the PCT), it does not mean
you are necessarily experienced with desert hiking, snow hiking and navigation by any means.

I would argue that many AT veterans have a narrow base of experience in the outdoors, esp.
if they "only" have done the AT to exclusion of traditional backpacking and/or other outdoor
activities.

SOOOO..hiking the the AT does not mean snow smarts by any means.

Having said that..yeah...be safe out there!

(Waxed my skis yesterday! Getting ready for some ski touring...I love winter!!!)

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com