[pct-l] FAQ Wiki

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Thu Dec 4 08:56:12 CST 2008

Good morning, All,

I do not support a wiki approach to a FAQ list.

A wiki may be OK for content that is primarily quantitative, but anything
qualitative - such as the opinions of an individual - must not be subject to
editing by whomever cares to bit-fiddle the answer.  In my view, anything
relating to opinion - and quite a bit that's represented as "fact" - is
valued only by the extent to which I believe in the credibility of the
author.  If wiki-based information is not attributed to an author I will
credit it only to the extent that I can agree based upon my own experience.
If wiki information is attributed, but has been subject to another person's
blind editing, it is no longer creditable.

Another problem with a wiki is that it tries to resolve every issue into one
concise answer.  The real value of a list such as PCT-L is that it exposes a
reader to a wide variety of opinions, and the reader can pick and choose
among them based upon - whatever - such at the perceived credibility of the
author or an author that tells the reader what he/she wants to hear anyway.
Regardless, the individual gets to choose what, if anything, to believe.

Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye