[pct-l] Tents and Snow

ietura at viajarapie.info ietura at viajarapie.info
Thu Dec 4 05:13:57 CST 2008

Hannah,

I don't think the Sierra snow should be an important factor in your
decision. I entered the High Sierra in early june 06 (a high snow year),
spent 60-70% of my time on snow between KM and Tuolummne and as much as a
full day and a half continuously on snow (never got out of the stuff
between Pinchot and Mather) and I never slept on snow. There seemed to
always be this bare patch, even in the high areas around the tree line
(10-11 K feet). If needed, you can always use a hiking pole as an oversized
stake (remove the basket first) or bury something substantial and compact
the snow above; you may need some extra cord but this is so strong your
main problem will be taking the shelter down in the early morning frozen
concrete if you don't have an ice axe.
The High Sierra is a relatively short stretch anyway in the context of a
thru-hike, too short to have such a big influence in the gear you carry for
the whole thing. Get what you like best.
Rainskirt