[pct-l] Hammock Camping

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Mon Dec 1 21:11:18 CST 2008

> ...my hammock might not be so useful in the desert and high sierras.
> Does anyone have any advice on the subject?

In addition to Roni from Israel, a group given the trail name "The Ewoks" (since they "lived up in the trees") hiked the PCT a few years back (but I'm not aware if any of them kept a journal, unfortunately)...

Some portions of SoCal may pose a problem for hanging a hammock - I'm using Google Earth with the PCT trace from the US Forest Service AND Halfmile's more accurate/up to date traces for PCT sections A-K (can be downloaded at <http://www.pctmap.net/download/p/gearth.html>) to 'scout' for likely hanging locations on or very near the trail in SoCal...

It's true that in the Sierra if one wants to camp close to the passes, then one may be above treeline - yet there still might be possibilities if one takes a few cams or hexes (climbing) and extra cordage, but it would be much easier (and lighter weight, too!) to plan to "camp low" below treeline where hanging shouldn't be a problem...

In SoCal and the Sierra, one may have to adjust hiking plans (time/mileage) to accommodate hanging possibilities...  You should also have the gear (groundcloth/sleeping pad) to "go to ground" if needed or if wanted - many nights one should be able to 'cowboy camp' and enjoy the high desert or Sierra night sky overhead...  Anything between your eyes and those glorious night sky views (including the bug netting 'built-in' on a Hennessey) greatly diminishes the awe-inspiring effect of all those "billions and billions" (said in best possible imitation of Carl Sagan hosting "Cosmos") of stars, clusters, galaxies, nebulae......

Good luck and enjoy the planning, then...  Happy trails!!!
Jim / PITA