[pct-l] Trail Journal electronics

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Fri Aug 29 13:52:46 CDT 2008

William A. Chavez wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I am planning to hike in '09 and I would like to post my journal on
> line.  It seems to me that many people use the  "Pocket Mail"
> device.  Is this "the best" device?  I think that the device can be
> purchased on line but it would seem that there would be people that
> do not need the device anymore and would like to sell the one they
> have or would it be better to buy a new or different device?

pocketmail continues to be very popular on the trail, since you can use
it with any type of conventional telephone. it's aging tech, for sure,
but it probably still has a few more seasons of life left in it, as long
as they continue the service. it's become sort of a tradition for
ex-thrubies (aka pct has-beens) to pass their pocketmail devices along
to aspiring thrubies, who will then donate it to the next season's
class, etc. i don't know exactly where mine is now, but i know it's been
on the pct and at multiple times. anyway, maybe someone on the list has
one that they're not using anymore, and will donate to your thru-hike.

cheers-
girlscout