[pct-l] Shelter Question

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 00:59:41 CDT 2008

I was sheltered in The One during a windy rain in Oregon on this last
Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.  I believe I had the tent well set
up, and fairly well protected by trees.  But I ended up with standing
water in much of the tent.  The mesh that connects the bathtub floor
with the tent was soaked, and in particular when the wind blew it (the
mesh) inside the edge of the floor, water wicked down onto the floor.
There may have been other sources as well, this is just what I could
conclude during that period.

I mopped up as best I could, but water kept showing up here and there.
 So the down sleeping bag got fairly wet in some sections.  I'm not
talking a lake here, just a fair number of puddles.  If it had been a
real downpour, and wind, then I think I would have had a lake.

My pack was leaned up against the front hiking pole dring the night,
and my shoes sat just outside the tent door mesh.  Both got covered
with dirt, as did much of the tent door mesh, from the splash.  This
area was relatively protected from strong winds, but still got quite
wet and dirty.

When I packed up the tent it was such a mess, with no prospect for
drying out anytime soon, that I elected to bail out back to SIsters,
backtracking 14 miles.  But I wasn't alone, there were a few fellow
wimps, including one with a Tarptent Contrail.

And way back in May, somehow some of the knots on the backside of the
tent came untied. They were OK when I packed up the tent, then untied
when I unpacked, explain that.   Anyway, I put them back together as
best I could.

I only saw one other The One set up (no doubt there are many on the
trail), that was at Kennedy Meadows, it had backside bits that had
come untied as well, didn't get to talk to the owner.

Al H.