[pct-l] Fire Closure zones

Joanne Lennox goforth at cio.net
Sun Aug 24 14:43:15 CDT 2008

Jeff Singewald Wrote to this list on 78-20-2004:( Regarding Bear Cans)

:"mr. courtway, I am not certain of the illegal aliens you are referring to, but staying on point with regards to thru hikers and cans, I find that there are many on this list that support the idea that thru-hikers should be exempt from the rules that have been set forth simply because thru-hikers are thru-hikers.  As a relative newcomer to this list, I may be speaking out of turn, however, in my opinion thru-hikers should follow the same guidelines as everyone else.  An extra 2lbs should not be be excessive, especially for folks that have made it the 700-800 miles to the sierra already.  Frankly, the difference in weight should be no different than what most carried in the south as they should be packing far less water.

I have come to the belief that the whole issue of cans and some of the thru-hikers that are so against cans is not one of discomfort or inconvenience, but rather one of rebellion, one of attitude and belief that thru-hikers are above the rules.

I hope to be a thru-hiker soon, but, for what it's worth, I will be a thru-hiker with a can, in the High Sierras.

Jeff Singewald "