[pct-l] DEAD HORSES

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sat Aug 23 05:14:01 CDT 2008

Yes Joanne,
I sympathize with you....All this grumbling and criticizing Scott & Joe, by a few individuals,
has been upsetting to me also.
Seems like every time someone like Scott & Joe goes on a speed or record hike a few self
appointed ''Judges & Critics'' of proper hiking standards, who can't stand the thought of speed
hikers zooming by them, feel compelled to criticize the speed hikers.
This year was no exception.
Other hikers have hiked through trail closures, but only Scott & Joe were singled out for
criticism because speed hiking is frowned upon by those individuals.
Ohh sure, they will proclaim ''I have nothing against speed hiking,'' but then grumble between
their teeth.....Could sour grapes have something to do with it?

Yes Joanne, I recommend taking a hike to all my friends....it's great medicine....has a calming
effect on people.

I don't know why this is so upsetting to you, as a fellow hiker you should know that hiking is
good for you and recommending it to your friends should not be criticized.

Say Joanne, I am contemplating on going on another JMT speed hike.
Would you like to come along?....It might calm you down.

BTW...The UL revolution and speed hiking are here to stay, so you might as well get used to it.

JMT Reinhold

Joanne writes:
Actually, I have been finding all this Joe and Scott thing from you
Rheinhold to a little over the top.

When I posted about Monstro ( Adam ), you were all in a panic that somebody
that did not announce his intentions was somehow possibly going to upstage
your buddies.

I admire speed and endurance, I do not admire the constant trumpeting of
their attempt that has occurred over the previous months.

All the publicity and the trumpeting and the very public announcements of
this attempt has put it in the public forum, and as such is open to
criticism.  To tell detractors to "take a hike" does Scott and Joe a
disservice.

Let them speak for themselves, rather than trying to share the spotlight
with them.  Maybe you should be out hiking yourself.  Have you ever done a
thruhike??

.