[pct-l] Speed records, hiking styles, HYOH, etc.

Vic Hanson vichansonperu at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 16 18:01:57 CDT 2008

I hate to add one more comment to a thread that has been beaten to death, but can't refrain any longer, sorry.

Most/Many/Some (take your pick) long distance (especially) hikers are athletes. I'm sure many of you are following the Olympic games now. What do athletes do? They compete! Some take it more seriously than others, some just compete with themselves, some do it as individuals, others like to compete as a team. I think it is great that Scott and Joe have teamed up to compete for the record. For most, competition makes us faster and stronger. I hike, bike and climb solo much of the time because there are no like minded athletes where I live. I find it too easy to slack off even when I have a specific goal in mind, when I am by myself, but if there is someone with me I will push harder. It may be to get or stay ahead or it may be to try to keep up or catch up.

Why do I compete? I enjoy it. I enjoy it when I am alone and I enjoy it when I am with someone else. It feels good to win. It encourages me to try harder when I don't. Do I always compete? No, not if I am with someone who doesn't want to compete and I am enjoying their company, or if I am teaching or guiding someone. I enjoy that too. I don't know Joe but I have met Scott a number of times. He stopped and talked with us, and gave us helpful advice) when he was going north and returning south on his 2006 yo-yo. He's a great guy and I respect and admire him for his hiking accomplishments (but I won't try competing with him!), and he inspires me to get out and hike my dream.

Some of you know Odyssa (Jen Pharr, '06). She was expected to finish the AT today for a new record for a supported women's hike (58 days). I hope she made it. I won't try competing with her either! She just got married a few weeks before she started and her husband is her support team.

Sure there are no referees, required checkpoints or even few fixed rules for our records, whether they are for hiking or climbing. We may or may not brag or tell others about it. If we do, it challenges others to try to beat it. What good is a record if no one else is even interested in trying to beat it?

Sugar Daddy - who holds the record for the most mountains over 17,000 feet climbed in 15 days in the department of Arequipa, Peru by a 59 year old PCT-L subscriber (7). Smiley, also PCT '06, beat me to the top of all of them, and climbed 8 mountains, but he was only 40 when he finished. :)

Sound like a challenge? Send me an email!!

Interested in a South American Adventure? I have started an Adventure Travel Business in Peru.
http://www.adventurecotahuasi.com

Have a look at my blog to see photos and stories of ministry and other activities I am involved in here.
http://vichanson.spaces.live.com/

Check out the stories of my adventures in Peru and other places:
http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=28256
http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Vic_Hanson