[pct-l] SPOT - What a bunch of whiners

mikea mike.aken at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 21:31:53 CDT 2008

Folks I fail to see why the SPOT system is causing so much consternation.

Its a radio !!!!!
It has to transmit 17000 miles or so.
your cell phone probably is transmitting 30 to 50 miles.
Duh, why is so hard to get the information through.

Let me ask you what YOUR ALTERNATE plan would be
     A. carry 3 or 4 cellphones each with a alternate carrier.
          maybe you can get through.( need chargers also )
     B get a satellite phone. expensive to rent or buy.
     C. get a ham radio.
     D. Only hike on high ridges
     E. DON'T GO HIKING

No one is forcing you to get this device.
No one is forcing you to subscribe to all of its services.

People who want this device will buy it and subscribe.
People who want to reassure their kin folk will learn how to
work around its limitations.

This is not the military. There is no Pack Inspector General
who goes through each hikers pack to see if he/she is prepared. :-)

Mike

--
http://www.engel.org/ihwm (Courtesy of my friend Glenn Engel)

"I hike alone sometimes.Its during these Mike Aken
solo hikes that the number of arrogant N7OUJ
and ignorant people I have to deal
with is reduced to one".
Jack Hampson