[pct-l] current east side Sierra shuttle information

David Hough on pct-l pcnst2001 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 11 17:50:06 CDT 2008

Around August 21-28 I would like to go from South
Lake over Bishop Pass to the PCT and then up to
Reds Meadow, getting a few per cent closer to
completion (http://pcnst.oakapple.net/future)

Shuttling is the bugaboo of section hikers.    I know
how to get from Reds Meadow to Mammoth Inn and
from the Mammoth McDonalds to downtown Bishop.
That leaves a gap in Mammoth and a gap from Bishop to
South Lake.    There is supposed to be a taxi service
in Mammoth though they didn't answer their phone a
couple
years ago, but I think I could probably find a ride
from Mammoth Inn to the McDonalds.    I'm more
concerned
about getting from Bishop to South Lake.    I can't
find
any indication of a conventional taxi service in
Bishop.

 http://www.mtwhitneyshuttle.com/
seems to be a going concern.

 http://www.wilderhouse.com/
is not encouraging.

http://lomaprieta.sierraclub.org/pcs/info/shuttles.asp
has all kinds of good stuff... from 2001-2002.

Anyway I would appreciate current information and
suggestions.    Since I could park my car anywhere
from
Reds Meadow to South Lake, in principle, I wonder
what would be a relatively safe choice.
My inclination would be to get in real early and
park near Reds Meadow and then do the shuttling the
first day, but the CREST bus schedule might not
work in my favor.