[pct-l] Report on Indepence, CA Facilities

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sun Aug 10 14:29:34 CDT 2008

I just returned from hiking south of Cottonwood Pass.  While driving, I took the time to explore the facilities available in Lone Pine and Independence - both popular PCT re-supply points.

Independence:

The only reliable place to eat in town is the Subway sandwich shop. The French Restaurant is still there, but keeps erratic hours. Locals say it's closed Monday and Tuesdays as well.

The town's only grocery store has definitely closed. However, two other food sources do exist.

1) The Shell gas station has a good food selection and is expanding. Regarding fuel, I found Coleman white gas in the 1 gallon can, CampingGaz canisters (proprietary thread), the standard 16.4 oz Coleman green fuel canisters, Heet, STP Gasline Antifreeze, plus an assortment of camping and fishing supplies. I suggested to the clerk that due to the proprietary nature of the CampingGaz canisters, they should add either the MSR or Snowpeak  propane/butane gas canisters for hikers' stoves.

2) The Chevron gas station/Food Mart and adjacent Subway Sandwich shop: Has an even better food selection; you could re-supply here. I found tortillas, breads, eggs, cheese, milk, fresh fruit, etc. For fuel, Coleman PowerMax gas cylinders (both 6 and 10.6 ounce sizes), Coleman white gas in the 1 gallon can, the standard 16.4 oz Coleman green fuel canisters, Heet, STP Gasline Antifreeze. They don't carry the MSR canisters and didn't seem interested in doing so.

A cheaper and (IMO) attractive alternative to hitching here from/to Onion Valley (which virtually necessitates staying overnight and eating 2 meals) is to use the services of the Onion Valley Pack Station. For details, pricing, and procedures, contact Dee Berner at Sequoia Kings Pack Train at pinecreekps at aol.com or call 760-387-2627. Website is http://horse-pack-trips.gordonsguide.com/sequoia/index.cfm.

Lone Pine:

There is only one grocery store in town.  I've seen better stores in these small towns, but you could definitely re-supply there - if you're not too picky.

The Laundromat has a lot of washers and dryers plus two bill changers (a washer takes 4 quarters per load; dryers give 10 minutes drying time per quarter.

We stayed at both the Dow Villa Motel (760-876-5521) and at the Lone Pine Budget Inn (760-876-5655). You'll definitely need reservations for lodging on Friday and Saturday nights as Lone Pine is the starting point for Mount Whitney climbs. There is a new, very nice Hostel in town, owned by the man who owns the Whitney Portal Store. All of these front on highway 395 and are within easy walking distance of each other.

Wandering Bob